Job Opportunities: We're Hiring!
Position: Executive Director (1-year maternity leave)
Laskeek Bay Conservation Society (LBCS) is seeking a creative and dynamic individual, with the experience required to lead our organization for a 1-year contract period (maternity leave). This is a unique opportunity to lead a successful non-profit that has conducted foundational marine and terrestrial research and conservation for nearly 30 years on Haida Gwaii with the support of citizen scientists. The Executive Director is responsible for managing organizational operations, which includes financial management, community engagement, and strategic planning. The Executive Director works with the organization’s Lead Biologist, and is accountable to the Board of Directors.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the following initiatives:
- Seeking out and applying to new and existing funding opportunities to ensure ongoing organizational financial sustainability;
- Managing and reporting on the status of current projects and commitments;
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities for organizational growth, through new partnerships and initiatives both on Haida Gwaii and off island;
- Creating and conducting community engagement initiatives in partnership with the Lead Biologist;
- Planning and overseeing an annual field season (May – July, annually); which includes recruiting a team of staff and volunteers, organizing logistics and overseeing execution;
- Maintaining the organization’s internal and external communication and administrative tasks, including employment standards, policy development and legal reporting requirements.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience with appropriate academic qualifications;
- Proven capacity to manage concurrent projects with limited resources;
- Experience delivering community engagement initiatives, experience with environmental education an asset;
- Basic accounting skills, familiarity with Sage50c (Simply Accounting) an asset;
- Independent and resourceful worker with strong initiative and a collaborative attitude;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Passion for marine and terrestrial research and conservation through citizen science.
This position will begin in late August or early September 2017 and will continue for 1 full calendar year. It is a 20-hour/week position, and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to Lindsay Seegmiller at Laskeek@laskeekbay.org. Applications are due by 5pm on August 11, 2017; only successful candidates will be contacted.