Job Opportunities: We're Hiring!
Position: Data Manager (3-month contract)
Laskeek Bay Conservation Society (LBCS) is seeking an individual with a familiarity and interest in terrestrial and marine biology and a passion for numbers and spreadsheets! The Data Manager will work under the direction of the society’s Lead Biologist to input, correct, organize, and analyze data collected on East Limestone Island, Haida Gwaii.
Data have been collected at the East Limestone field station since 1990, from a large variety of projects. Some examples are long-term studies on breeding Ancient Murrelets (banding, burrow monitoring, point counts), seabird nestbox and chick monitoring, Black Oystercatcher breeding surveys and banding, marine mammal monitoring, wildlife tree monitoring for cavity-nesters, and invasive plant monitoring and removal. Our goal is to update our database from these many years of varied research, to a point where data can easily be analyzed within the organization, and shared with other researchers.
The Data Manager will be responsible for the following activities:
- Creating systematic approaches to correcting and organizing previously collected data that has been entered into Excel spreadsheets.
- Checking for, and inputting missing data from paper field forms or notebooks.
- Working with the Lead Biologist to plan a data organization strategy that will allow the society to more easily share data with other researchers.
- Create reports on data entry methods, as well as keeping track of changes to data in an organized manner
- Hold a Bachelors degree in appropriate field of study, or currently working towards such a degree.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills for data entry and manipulation within Excel, and familiarity with basic analysis within Excel.
- Organized and direct writing style.
- Independent worker with good time management skills, strong initiative, and ability to work collaboratively.
- Willing to work creatively with minimal resources and minimal direction.
- This is a part-time position that will be preferably based out of the LBCS office in Queen Charlotte City.
- The contract will run from March – May, 2017 with the potential for extension.
Compensation will be $20.00/hour for 20 hours/week.
Please send your cover letter and resume before Friday February 10, 2017 to Lindsay Seegmiller (firstname.lastname@example.org).